Brodsko-Posavska Zupanija is one of Croatia's 20 counties. Covering an area of 2,034 square kilometers, the county represents 3.61% of Croatia's total territory, ranking 14th in terms of size among the country's counties. Brod-Posavina County is found in the southern part of the Slavonian lowland, contributing to the state border with Bosnia and Herzegovina to the south. The county also shares borders with Vukovar-Srijem County to the east, Osijek-Baranja County to the northeast, Požega-Slavon County to the north, and Sisak-Moslavina County to the west. Brod-Posavina County was formed by merging two municipalities, Slavonski Brod and Nova Gradiška, in 1933. Slavonski Brod became the county's capital city and, in today's time, is one of the predominant attractions of the area. The city features some historical landmarks, such as Brod Fortress and the Franciscan monastery. With regard to its natural sites, the central part of the Brod-Posavska Zupanija is formed by the protected area Jelas Polje, belonging to the Natura 2000. Jelas Polje is home to numerous bird species, creating a destination for birdwatchers. Additionally, some historical buildings of mostly religious origin can be found scattered across the nature area as well. Concerning local weather, the climate in Brod-Posavina County tends to be moderate continental, with mild winters and warm summers.
Brod-Posavina County's capital city, Slavonski Brod, is one of the predominant attractions in the area. The town features a Brod Fortress, built by Prince Eugene of Savoy during the 18th century. The Fortress is part of a more extensive system of Baroque fortresses constructed in towns along the Danube River bordering the Turkish empire. The Fortress in Slavonski Brod is a prominent site because it was an independent fortress connected to an existing settlement, unlike other fortress-towns such as Osijek, Petrovaradin, and later constructions including Temeswar, Belgrade, and Carlsberg, which transformed existing urban structures into Baroque fortresses through fortifications and radical changes. The Fortress features a Ružić Gallery, showcasing the works donated by the sculptor and painter Branko Ružić and other contemporary Croatian artists. Another historical landmark in the city is the Franciscan Monastery and the Church of Holy Trinity. The monastery was built in the 17th century and originally belonged to Bosnia and Herzegovina. Nowadays, it is among the largest baroque monastery complexes in Slavonia. Tourists to the Slavonski Bord can also visit the Museum of Brodsko Posavlje, featuring a scientific library and exhibitions in various domains, such as nature, archeology, ethnography, culture and history, and a gallery.
Tourists who prefer outdoor activities might be interested in visiting the Ramarin Ranch, found in the center of Brod-Posavina County, between the Sava River and the slopes of Dilje. Ramarin Ranch offers the experience of plain rural life, featuring gastronomic delicacies based on the traditional recipes of the Brod-Posavina region. The surrounding land offers hiking and cycling opportunities. Additionally, the ranch presents an option of horseback riding in the local nature. Another outdoor destination is Jelas Polje, a wetland area protected by the European ecological network Natura 2000. Apart from its diverse wildlife, Jelas Polje is home to several historical constructions of religious origins. These include the gothic Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the baroque Church of St. John the Baptist in Slavonski Kobaš, the baroque Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Bebrina, and the baroque Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Dubočac.
Brod-Posavina County is situated in the southern region of the Slavonian lowland, bordered by the Psunja, Požega, and Dilj mountains to the north, and the Sava River to the south, forming a part of the state border with Bosnia and Herzegovina. Brod-Posavina County exhibits hilly, plain, and lowland areas. The mountainous region consists of moderately elevated mountains, primarily covered by forests, with the highest point (Psunj) at 984 meters above sea level. The majority of the county comprises the Ravničar area, which represents the bordering strip of the fertile Slavonian plain. Along the Sava River, the lowland area is intersected by streams, canals, and marshes. Its natural features, such as water, forests, fertile soil, navigable rivers, and European road corridors, provide opportunities for economic, transportation, trade, and cultural development.
In the central part of the Brodsko-Posavska Zupanija is found Jelas Polje, which is part of the European ecological network Natura 2000. Jelas Polje was once a vast wetland region fed by the Sava River and its tributaries. However, a majority of the area was drained through the construction of embankments and canals. Nonetheless, approximately 25 square kilometers of the area in recent years were transformed into fishponds, fostering extensive fish farming. These fishponds, along with their diverse bird population, are the central feature of Jelas polje. Some of the bird species inhabiting the area include Graylag goose, Red-crested pochard, Gadwall, Mallard, Glossy ibis, and Black-headed gull, to name a few. The remaining sections comprise a diverse mix of floodplain forests, pastures, meadows, cultivated land, and rural settlements.
The county experiences a moderate continental climate, characterized by mild winters and warm summers. Regarding climate and weather in Brodsko-Posavska County's capital, Slavonski Brod, the warmest month is generally August, with an average daily temperature of 29°C. Reportedly, January is the coldest month, as temperatures have an average high of 4°C. March tends to be the driest month in Slavonski Brod because it generally receives 45 mm of rainfall on average. The most precipitation falls during June, as it gets an average of about 92 mm.
The Brodsko-Posavska Zupanija was established in 1933 by merging two former municipalities—Nova Gradiška and Slavonski Brod. Both of the municipalities feature their own history. Nova Gradiška, also known as The Youngest Town, was established in 1748 as a military outpost called Friedrichsdorf. It was later renamed Neu-Gradischka and eventually became Nova Gradiška. It was part of the Austrian monarchy and the Slavonian Military Frontier until 1881, when it became a district capital in the Požega County of the Kingdom. The town's notable landmarks include the baroque church of Saint Tereza and the old courthouse and prison from the 18th century.
However, the other of the two municipalities, Slavonski Brod, is also the older of the two cities, as the area of the town has been inhabited since prehistoric times. In the northeastern part of the city were discovered trails of Starčevo culture from the Early Stone Age. This finding not only represents the most significant architectural discovery in northern Croatia but also provides evidence of human habitation in the Brod area for at least 8,000 years. Later, Romans settled and named the area Marsonia, which is mentioned in historical records and maps. The city saw various influences, including Ottoman control, before becoming part of the Austrian monarchy until 1918. In the 20th century, Brod experienced economic growth and underwent considerable damage during World War II. Democratic reforms were introduced in 1990, allowing the formation of political parties in the city. One of the predominant historical landmarks in the town of Brod is the Slavonski Brod Fortress, constructed under Prince Eugene of Savoy in the 18th century.
Click a state below to find a Campground near you.